ALPHA MAG

ShowBiz & Sports Clebs Lifestyle

Hot

Saturday, February 21, 2026

Islamic State lashes out at Syria’s interim president as 'puppet without a soul,' urges new attacks

February 21, 2026
Islamic State lashes out at Syria's interim president as 'puppet without a soul,' urges new attacks

BEIRUT (AP) — TheIslamic State grouphas blasted Syria's interim president calling him a "puppet without a soul" controlled by Western countries, adding that his fate eventually will be similar to that of ousted leader Bashar Assad.

Associated Press

In an audio message released late Saturday by the group's spokesman, who identifies himself as Abu Huzaifa al-Ansari, he called on IS followers around the world to attack Jewish and Western targets as they have in past years.

Al-Ansari sent greetings to IS fighters from the group's leaderAbu Hafs al-Hashemi al-Qurayshiwho was named as the head of the group three years ago.

The audio is the first to be released by the group in months and comes after IS was blamed for attacks that left dozens dead or wounded in recent months inSyria, Iraq,Pakistanand other parts of the world.

In December, the group was blamed for an attack in central Syria thatleft three Americansdead and triggered intense U.S. airstrikes on the extremists' suspected hideouts in the country.

Despite its defeat in Iraq in 2017 and in Syria two years later, IS sleeper cells still carry out deadly attacks in both countries, where they once declared a caliphate.

The U.N. chief said earlier this month in a reporton threats posed by ISthat Syria's president, interior minister and foreign minister were the targets of five foiled assassination attempts last year.

Advertisement

In December 2024, insurgents led by now interim President Ahmad al-Sharaa's Hayat Tahrir al-Sham, or HTS, marched to Damascus andremoved then-President Bashar Assadfrom power, striking a severe blow to Iran's influence in the war-torn country. Assad belonged to the minority Alawite sect in the predominantly Sunni Muslim country.

Since then, al-Sharaa, a former leader of al-Qaida's branch in Syria, has improved his relations with Western countries and last year becamethe first Syrian head of stateto visit Washington since Syria's independence in 1946.

Al-Ansari said that Iran and Assad in Syria were replaced "with a regime that is subjected to American influence."

"Syria today is ruled by the Crusaders after they placed a leader who is a puppet without a soul," al-Ansari i said. He vowed new attacks in the country saying that "Syria has entered a new era of defense and the convoys of jihad will eventually march in Syria."

The audio, which is supposed to mark the beginning of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan did not mention the transfer of 5,704 suspectedIS detaineesfrom prisons in northeast Syria to Iraq in recent weeks. Al-Ansari only said that everyone is scared of the detainees whom the Americans, Shiites and Kurdish fighters are doing all they can to make sure they don't escape.

Al-Ansari also did not mentional-Hol campthat used to house more than 24,000 people, mostly women and children linked to IS, that is now almost empty after government forces took control of it last month from the U.S.-backed and Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces.

He acknowledged that IS lost fighters over the past two years because of attacks by the U.S.-led coalition against IS. The Syrian government officially joined the coalition in November.

Read More

Trump approves disaster assistance to DC to help with sewage spill into Potomac River

February 21, 2026
Trump approves disaster assistance to DC to help with sewage spill into Potomac River

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump has approved emergency assistance to Washington, D.C., to help the city addressa sewage system leakthat dumped at least250 million gallons of raw sewageinto the Potomac River.

Associated Press

The Federal Emergency Management Agency announced Trump's approval on Saturday, allowing FEMA to provide equipment and resources to help with the response to the Jan. 19 spill after a pipeline ruptured.

D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowserhad requested the federal help on Wednesdayand declared an emergency.

Trump's approval of the disaster relief request comes after he criticized the handling of the spill, blaming local Democratic leaders and focusing especially on Maryland's Democratic Gov. Wes Moore.

Advertisement

He said in his social media posts criticizing the response that local officials had not asked for emergency help and he intended to step in.

However, the federal government was already involved in the repair and assessing the impact of the leak through the Environmental Protection Agency.

The 72-inch (183 centimeter) pipeline, known as the Potomac Interceptor, burst on Jan. 19, sending 250 million gallons of untreated sewage into the Potomac River just north of Washington in the first five days.

The leak is largely under control, but it could take months to repair the pipe fully. The local water utility, DC Water, along with the EPA, has been working to repair the leak and monitor the impact on the river.

Officials have said the area's drinking water is safe, but people who use the Potomac River for recreation are being cautioned not to have direct contact with the water.

Read More

A timeline of US strikes on boats that have killed at least 148

February 21, 2026
A timeline of US strikes on boats that have killed at least 148

The US military has killed at least 148 people in strikes that have destroyed 44 boats as part of a campaign that Washington says is aimed at curtailing the flow of drugs into the United States, according to official announcements and CNN's analysis of search and rescue efforts. There have been at least 13 survivors of those strikes, two of whom were briefly detained by the US Navy before being returned to their home countries. 11 others are presumed dead after searches did not locate them in the water.

CNN This grid of images shows 10 of the incidents in which the US military has targeted boats in international waters, from September 2 to October 29. - Pete Hegseth/X/Donald Trump/Truth Social

The US Coast Guard launched a search for an unspecified number of survivors who abandoned ship before their vessels were struck on December 30 in international waters. The Coast Guard suspended its search on January 2. Officials subsequently said there had been eight survivors they were attempting to locate. The Coast Guard similarly launched searches for survivors of boat strikes on October 27, January 23 and February 9, but all three searches were suspended without locating the men.

The Trump administration has told Congress that the US is now in an "armed conflict" against drug cartels beginning with its first strike on September 2, labeling those killed "unlawful combatants" and claiming the ability to engage in lethal strikes without judicial reviewdue to a classified Justice Department finding.

Some members of Congress as well as human rights groups have questioned that finding and argued that potential drug traffickers should face prosecution, as had been the policy of interdiction carried out by the US before President Donald Trump took office.

Advertisement

The Trump administration has also not provided public evidence of the presence of narcotics on the boats struck, nor their affiliation with drug cartels.

Military officials have said that no US service members have been harmed in the strikes.

This story has been updated with additional reporting.

For more CNN news and newsletters create an account atCNN.com

Read More

FIFA's Infantino to face no IOC action on Olympic neutrality rules over Trump peace board

February 21, 2026
FIFA's Infantino to face no IOC action on Olympic neutrality rules over Trump peace board

MILAN (AP) — The International Olympic Committee will take no action against its member Gianni Infantino for apossible breach of political neutralityrules over aligning FIFA with U.S. President Donald Trump'sBoard of Peace.

Associated Press Giovanni Vincenzo Infantino, president of FIFA, tries out a USA hat during a Board of Peace meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein) FIFA President and IOC member Gianni Infantino, right, speaks with Monaco's Prince Albert, during the opening of the IOC Session, ahead of the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 3, 2026. (AP Photo/Luca Bruno)

Trump Board of Peace

The IOC said Saturday the matter is closed and FIFA's development work in Gaza is "entirely in keeping with the role of an international sport federation."

Trump hosted the peace board event Thursday in Washington, D.C., where Infantino signed an agreement on behalf of the soccer governing body that could see $75 million of its funds invested in Gaza.

Asked Friday about Infantino's conduct, IOC President Kirsty Coventry said it would look into a possible breach of neutrality. The Olympic members' oath requires "to always act independently of … political interests."

Advertisement

Coventry and Infantino are among107 current invited members of the IOCwho include sports leaders, former Olympic athletes, members of Asian and European royal families, former political leaders and diplomats, plus business and cultural figures.

The IOC membership meets Sunday morning in Milan and will welcometwo new athlete memberselected at the Winter Games. Attendance is not mandatory and it was unclear if Infantino will return after spending several days in the city for IOC meetings ahead of the Feb. 6 opening ceremony.

AP Winter Olympics:https://apnews.com/hub/milan-cortina-2026-winter-olympics

Read More

Dylan Darling, No. 17 St John's cruise past Creighton

February 21, 2026
Dylan Darling, No. 17 St John's cruise past Creighton

Dylan Darling scored 17 points as No. 17 St. John's started quickly and extended its winning streak to 13 games with an 81-52 wire-to-wire victory over Creighton on Saturday afternoon in New York.

Field Level Media

The Red Storm (22-5, 15-1 Big East) moved a game ahead of UConn for the conference lead. The Huskies are visiting Villanova later Saturday and host St. John's Wednesday in Hartford, Conn.

St. John's is on its longest winning streak since putting together 19 in a row from Dec. 22. 1984-Feb. 23, 1985. The Red Storm also are also on a 13-game winning streak in conference games, one shy of the school record during the 1984-85 season.

Darling scored 11 of his points in the second half.

Bryce Hopkins notched a double-double for the second straight game by collecting 15 and 10 rebounds. Hopkins made 6-of-10 shots and posted his 17th career double-double.

Zuby Ejiofor scored 13 of his 15 in the first half and made 7-of-8 free throws for the Red Storm, who sank 20 of 23 attempts at the charity stripe.

Advertisement

Oziyah Sellers contributed 10 points while Dillon Mitchell grabbed 10 rebounds and handed out seven assists, helping the Red Storm to a 44-30 edge on the boards.

Coming off an impressive performance in its 91-84 win at UConn on Wednesday, Creighton (14-14, 8-9) lost for the sixth time in eight games. The Bluejays were held to their second-fewest points this season and shot 32.1 % and committed 18 turnovers.

Fedor Zugic led Creighton with nine points, but Josh Dix and Nik Graves were a combined 5-of-19 from the floor.

St John's scored the game's first eight points, took a 22-10 lead on a putback by Ejiofor with 11 1/2 minutes left and Creighton countered with a 13-6 spurt to get within 28-23 on a corner 3 by Zugic with 6:54 remaining. The Red Storm answered the comeback try by outscoring the Bluejays 14-4 the rest of the half for a 42-27 halftime lead.

Creighton cut the lead to 10 twice in the opening minutes of the second, but the Red Storm countered by scoring nine straight for a 53-34 lead on a basket by Ejiofor with 13:56 left.

St. John's kept pouring it on and a 3 from the top of the key and a hook shot by Ruben Prey on consecutive possessions opened a 67-38 lead with about nine minutes left.

--Field Level Media

Read More

James Milner sets new Premier League appearance record in Brighton win

February 21, 2026
James Milner sets new Premier League appearance record in Brighton win

LONDON (AP) — James Milner set a new Premier League appearance record on Saturday when playing in his 654th game in England's top flight.

Associated Press

The 40-year-old Milner surpassed the benchmark set by Gareth Barry when named in the starting lineup for Brighton against Brentford. Brighton won 2-0 at the Gtech Community Stadium.

"I feel like I can still contribute minutes. I've been a bit frustrated this year, maybe not getting the minutes, but it's a fine balance because of course we have to develop players as well and we want to win," Milner said. "Hopefully I've proved the last few games that I can still contribute on the pitch."

Milner made his league debut as a 16-year-old for Leeds in 2002, coming on as a substitute in a 4-3 win against West Ham.

In a much-traveled career, he was a serial trophy-winner with Manchester City and Liverpool. Across his time with those two clubs he won a full set of titles including the three Premier Leagues, the Champions League, FA Cup and English League Cup.

Milner has been at Brighton since 2023 and even in the latter stages of his career has made 18 appearances this season.

Advertisement

Barry's record had stood since he played his last Premier League game for West Brom against Huddersfield in 2018. He played for two more seasons in the second-tier Championship.

Milner equalled Barry's record when coming on as a substitute for Brighton against Aston Villa on Feb. 11.

He is not putting any limits on how much longer he can go on for.

"When you get older things can change quickly," he said. "With the injury I had last season I couldn't lift my foot for six months. I'll keep pushing, let's see where that takes us."

AP soccer:https://apnews.com/hub/soccer

Read More

NASA's SLS rocket faces new helium issue, Artemis II launch delayed

February 21, 2026
NASA's SLS rocket faces new helium issue, Artemis II launch delayed

NASA had just announced a flawless wet dress rehearsal and possible early March liftoff of its long-awaitedArtemis II mission, but all that changed in less than 24 hours.

USA TODAY

A closer look at thegiant SLS moon rocketrevealed a new issue – one that will likelyfurther delay the launchand will now require NASA to roll the rocket back to the Vehicle Assembly Building.

An earlySaturday Feb. 21 NASA blog updatereported that overnight data showed an interruption in the flow of helium into theSLS's interim cryogenic propulsion stage.

"We will begin preparations for rollback, and this will take the March launch window out of consideration," NASA Administrator Jared Isaacmanwrote on X. The next launch opportunity opens on April 1.

Skywatching:A total lunar eclipse is happening in March. Here's how to view it.

The announcement came just a day after the four astronauts, who are set to fly around the moon, entered quarantine in Houston in preparation for an early March liftoff. The rocket had just seen what appeared to bea successful wet dress rehearsal test, which included running through launch day operations and fueling the rocket up to T-29 seconds. NASA stated this week's fueling test showed no evidence of leaks, after ahydrogen leakearlier this month caused the prelaunch wet dress test to be repeated.

A similar issue was also observed during preparation for Artemis I.

Advertisement

"Potential faults could include the final filter between the ground and flight vehicle, located on the umbilical, though this seems least likely based on the failure signature," Isaacman wrote on X. "It could also be a failed QD umbilical interface, where similar issues have been observed. It could also be a failed check valve onboard the vehicle, which would be consistent with Artemis I, though corrective actions were taken to minimize reoccurrence on Artemis II."

All of these issues require the rocket to be rolled back to the VAB.

"I understand people are disappointed by this development. That disappointment is felt most by the team at NASA, who have been working tirelessly to prepare for this great endeavor," Isaacman wrote. "During the 1960s, when NASA achieved what most thought was impossible, and what has never been repeated since, there were many setbacks. One historic example is that Neil Armstrong spent less than 11 hours in space on Gemini 8 before his mission ended prematurely due to a technical issue. A little over three years later, he became the first man to walk on the Moon."

The last time an SLS rocket flew was during the Nov. 2022 uncrewed Artemis I mission.

The available April launch dates include the 1st through the 6th of the month.

This story has been updated with new information.

Brooke Edwards is a Space Reporter for Florida Today. Contact her atbedwards@floridatoday.comor on X:@brookeofstars.

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY:NASA's SLS rocket issue could delay Artemis II launch, cause rollback

Read More