
Roseanne Barr Reveals Details of Her Brand New Star-Studded Sitcom ‘Meemaw’

Roseanne Barr - Steven Ferdman/Getty Images
Roseanne Barr refuses to stay canceled as the controversial comedian has revealed she secretly filmed a new eight-part comedy series in Austin, Texas.
Barr, who was dropped by Disney in 2018 after posting what many deemed to be a racist tweet, confirmed the new project in a recent interview with Page Six Hollywood. Titled Meemaw, the show follows Barr as the matriarch of a “mixed-race family of preppers in Texas” who is on a quest to “take down a criminal empire and throw her granddaughter the most fantastic bat mitzvah.”
“It’s every bit as revolutionary as The Roseanne Show, if not more, and my work has improved with time,” Barr told the outet. “I want everybody who disagrees in a family to sit in the same room and just laugh and go, ‘Yeah, maybe I was an a**hole that time. Well, you were an a**hole this time. Oh, we’re all a**holes. Let’s get a beer.”
In addition to Barr, the series stars The Sopranos actress Drea de Matteo, SNL alum Randy Quaid, What We Do in the Shadows actor Doug Jones, and Family Time star Omar Gooding (brother of Cuba Gooding Jr.). The show will also feature guest appearances from Jon Lovitz, Tony Hinchcliffe, and Kim Congdon.
Several cast members, including Matteo and Quaid, have spoken out in support of President Donald Trump. Hinchcliffe also performed at a Trump rally where he made an infamous controversial joke about Puerto Rico.
The series also stars viral tween sensation Indy Bugg, who plays Barr’s granddaughter. Barr said her friend, Oscar-winning actress Mo’Nique, put her in touch with the child actor.
“Mo’Nique calls up, ‘Check this girl out. She not only looks like you, but she acts just like you, too,'” Barr recalled. “She was only 12, and I about fell over that I was able to get her. She’s such a star. You’ll see it in the first episode, in her first scene.”
In 2018, ABC canceled its Roseanne revival after Barr compared former Barack Obama advisor Valerie Jarrett to “Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby.” While Barr later deleted the post and apologized, ABC stood by its decision.
Related
Bill Maher & Roseanne Barr Eviscerate 'Insane' Far Left — Then Things Get Heated
Former network president Channing Dungey said at the time, “Roseanne’s Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values, and we have decided to cancel her show.” The show was later revived as The Conners, with Barr’s character killed off off-screen.
Barr co-wrote Meemaw with Roseanne alum Allan Stephan and longtime Adam Sandler collaborator Allen Covert. It’s described as a “semi-autobiographical series about a woman who hails from a very liberal East Coast Jewish family” who gets disinherited and must move to Texas.
As for whether the show, which was funded by private investors and doesn’t yet have a distributor, is right-leaning, Barr said it’s for everyone. “My daughters are super woke and of course I love them, so I put in jokes for them, too, like I did on Roseanne,” she shared.
“I make fun of everybody because everybody deserves to be made fun of who’s in power,” Barr concluded. “So, I’ve got some great jokes about Republicans that the lefties are gonna love. I’m an equal opportunity destroyer.”
Read the latest entertainment news on TV Insider.
Source: Entertainment