
Rick Wakeman Plays Private Concert for Rescued Moon Bears, Highlights Animal Welfare IssuesJacqueline

(Michael Putland / Getty Images)
Not very many people are lucky enough to be in the audience at a private concert from an iconic rock star ranked among the “greatest keyboard players of all time,” but the creatures who were treated to an intimate performance by Rick Wakeman weren’t people at all.
On Sept. 24, the 77-year-old former keyboardist of Yes made an appearance at Animals Asia’s sanctuary in Vietnam, where he played the piano for 150 moon bears rescued from bear bile farms…and the bears couldn’t get enough.
As Animals Asia’s CEO and founder, Dr. Jill Robinson, told People, the musical moment was a long time coming.
“Back in 2019, [Wakeman] mentioned that he’d love to perform a recital not just for the bears, but to the bears. We immediately loved the idea and began making plans,” she explained.
“Unfortunately, COVID arrived, followed by Rick needing major surgery, so the project was put on hold. Seven years later, we were finally able to bring his incredible vision to life at our sanctuary in Vietnam. We are so grateful he chose to use his remarkable talent to help our bears through his incredible performance.”
Wakeman became a U.K. Ambassador of Animals Asia in 2017 with the intention of helping to raise awareness about bear bile farming, which is not only painful for bears but requires that they live their lives in small metal cages.
“The barbaric treatment these wonderful animals are subjected to, there was no way that I couldn’t be involved in any way I could to try and support and help this astonishing charity,” Wakeman said.
When he finally sat down to play for the bears, Wakeman couldn’t believe what happened next.
“It was unlike any experience I have ever had in my 77 years,” he said. “I felt as one with the bears, and while I was playing, I hardly took my eyes off them. I don’t think I looked at the piano keys more than 3 or 4 times throughout the hour I was playing to them,” he marveled, adding that “some stayed for the full hour, listening and visibly happy to listen.”
Robinson also said that “something remarkable happened” during the concert.
“As Rick began to play, the bears slowly turned towards the music and made their way to the fence line closest to the piano,” she said. “Some sat quietly in the grass, others lay down with their heads resting on their paws, and a few even stood up on their hind legs to get a better view.”
Through his performance, Wakeman hopes to bring more attention to the plight of moon bears, also known as Asiatic black bears.
“I hope that people will support us in freeing the final 125 bears who are trapped in cages. We need to get them to the sanctuary as soon as possible,” he said.
To learn more about how Animals Asia is working to save bears from bile farms and find out how you can get involved, visit the foundation’s official website.
Related: 1972 Classic Rock Hit, With ‘One of the Finest Organ Solos’ Ever, Became a Timeless Motivational Anthem
This story was originally published by Parade on Oct 9, 2026, where it first appeared in the News section. Add Parade as a Preferred Source by clicking here.
Source: Nature